Getting your home ready for sale can be a nightmare, so we’ve put together a list of property preparation tips in order for you to present your home in its best light.
Things to Do to Prepare Your Property for Sale
- Make sure your home in clean and tidy – both for the photography and also all open homes and inspections. Below is a quick room-by-room guide of what to do:
a) Kitchen – put away dishes, clear off the bench space, remove tea towels, remove fridge magnets
b) Bathrooms – clear bench space and shower/bath of any toiletries, clean mirrors, ensure towels are hanging straight
c) Bedrooms – make the bed, tidy bedside tables/shelves/cords, remove under-bed items
d) Living/dining – store any excess bulky items, tidy books/DVDs, turn off the TV and store remotes, arrange cushions/throw rugs
e) Outside – tidy the lawn/garden, remove cobwebs, move the car from the driveway, take the washing off the line, store shoes/children’s toys/etc.
- When booking the photography/videography of your home, suggest to your agent a time when the sun is shining on the front of your home.
- Lighting is key – open all blinds/curtains so your home looks light and bright and also turn on lamps to add ambience.
- Add colour to your home – fresh flowers or fruit in a bowl in the kitchen are great ways to do this!
- Let your agent know if you have a pet and if they will be at the property during open homes/inspections. Make sure they are safe and secure and that their belongings are hidden from view.
- Be realistic about your home’s appearance but also look at it through the buyer’s eyes – as if you were going to buy it. De-cluttering and de-personalising your home (if desired) can add value to your property.
- If your property is vacant, ask your agent about staging your home with quality furnishings.
- Ask your agent for their advice on what else may need to be done around your home.